Go Back   Rotorway Owners Group > Rotorway Owners Forums - All registered users > RotorX Owners Forum

RotorX Owners Forum Intended for discussions of owning, flying and building of RotorX helicopters. Moderators: Ron Curry

Old February19th, 2021
Lifetime

Graeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of light
tail rotor drive system.

I am old school, keep it simple, keep it light and if it aint broke don't fix it
unless the fix improves it.
My questions are comparing to the 3 belt system:

1- has the current drive shaft and 2 gearboxes made the helicopter safer?
2- is the drive shaft and gearboxes more prone to mechanical issues?
3- Is the drive shaft & gearboxes lighter than the 3 belt system?
4- has the drive shaft and gearboxes made the helicopter cheaper?

- what issues have there been with the 3 belt system?

Does anyone know what happened with an emergency landing apparently due to the tail rotor belts slipping , a dusty environment and RW's pilot Darren as the pilot?
Old February22nd, 2021
Lifetime

J. Mark Wolf is just really niceJ. Mark Wolf is just really niceJ. Mark Wolf is just really niceJ. Mark Wolf is just really niceJ. Mark Wolf is just really nice
Re: tail rotor drive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Smith View Post

Does anyone know what happened with an emergency landing apparently due to the tail rotor belts slipping , a dusty environment and RW's pilot Darren as the pilot?
I'm not sure this is the incident you're referring to but I remember an instance with Darren where the belt tension tool had become grossly out of calibration. Consequently, the TR belt tension was dangerously under tensioned. Darren was hovering and the belts started slipping badly and he started spinning badly about the main rotor shaft axis, on the apron at Stellar Airpark

Darren was a new Rotorway employee and was solo at the time. He successfully got it on the ground without damage. I heard the account directly from Stretch Wolter who had witnessed the event and was impressed.
Old February23rd, 2021
Lifetime

homer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to behold

The answers to those questions can be and have been debated for several years. I’m sure you already know some of them . It doesn’t take s rocket scientist to know that the driveshaft costs more, is heavier, is more complex with 2 gearboxes plus a short belt.
Is it safer? That’s debatable. Properly tensioned and operated, the belt system has worked very well for over 50 years now. It’s very inexpensive to maintain, it’s light, and with the right carbon fiber belt, it requires VERY LITTLE maintenance.

The question you didn’t ask is, which system is more efficient? That of course is the DS. How much , I have no idea, I’m not an engineer. But for the cost and simplicity of the belt system, I’ll take it any day.

BJ’s desire from the beginning was to supply a inexpensive machine to the little guy who wanted in get into helicopters. The belt drive tail was one very important thing that allowed him to do that. Anyone that’s looked closely at Igor’s VS300, will notice belts in the tail rotor drive system.
RW went to DS because of the many ignorant people who have only believed we needed those because of all the production machines have them. This has helped raise the cost of the kit to the point that sales nearly stopped. Cost of the kit is still and will always be an extremely important part of the company’s SUCCESSES OR FAILURE to stay in business.

This machine was meant to be a first step to bigger and better things, that will cost more , but can be used for real work and pay for itself. A few have been able to use it for more than it was designed for. That’s great if you can do it, but keep in mind , everyone can’t do that.

Last edited by homer bell; February23rd, 2021 at 05:12 AM.
Old February23rd, 2021
Lifetime

Graeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of lightGraeme Smith is a glorious beacon of light

Homer,
I totally agree.
Old March2nd, 2021
Active User

Claude Laforest is an unknown quantity at this point

Bad mouthing about the belt must have been the main reason.

First time I spoke to a certified helicopter mechanic about a Rotorway his first word was about their cheap belt tailrotor system.
And they have no damn idea of what they are talking about.

When I bought my machine I felt the belts were too soft. I checked the tool and it was out of range at only 7 lbs. The previous owner had a tailrotor authority problem. I had just found the the REAL problem.

The tool.

When my friend bought his RW I checked his tool first thing.

One imperial gallon of water weights exactly 10 pounds. Tool in vice, the gallon on the tool rod and check your line.

Last edited by Claude Laforest; March2nd, 2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old March3rd, 2021
Lifetime

homer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to behold

Yes over the years, many many times have heard about those crappy belts driving the tail. This is usually from people who know absolutely nothing about RW’s and how well they can work when properly built and flown.
Ignorant people all over the world who know less that what they think they do, and are quick to tell you how much smarter they are than you. Sorry , I’m about to go postal on several subjects . Covid, masks, lockdowns, and government run amok!