Go Back   Rotorway Owners Group > Rotorway Owners Forums - All registered users > RotorX Owners Forum

RotorX Owners Forum Intended for discussions of owning, flying and building of RotorX helicopters. Moderators: Ron Curry

Old November29th, 2021
Banned

David Chow is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reaching Out to New Builders Like Myself

One of the guys local to me (davy) who ordered an ax600 very early on just got his first two crates. We cracked it open to check everything out. the new straight legs looks fantastic. The skids are even beefier.
Old November30th, 2021
Active User

Eric Anderson is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got a text from Stan. Tentative delivery date of 2/2/22!
Old December13th, 2021
User

Justin Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

Update to my status - RotorX expects my kit to ship on Feb 9th. That's basically 6 months from the order date as expected and I can't wait! (Although it's a good thing I have a few months to get my shop ready).
Old December13th, 2021
New User

Michael Baron is an unknown quantity at this point

That's awesome, I got an email that they expect mine to ship in May which is perfect
Old December13th, 2021
User

Justin Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I asked RotorX (Stan) about the 180hp engine development. I'm not sure what others think but my expectation with anything new along those line of complication to have a delay in production due to a number of possible unforeseen issues that I think are normal to any R&D process. My take on it has been that I have been ready to receive the previously developed turbo motor as an acceptable option since I see plenty of value in a time-tested motor.

That being said, I was told they were on track to deliver with the 180hp motor. There was reference to an outsourced developer in the conversation but beyond that, I was just generally asking about the progress and happy to hear that things sounded on track.

If anyone has any further details, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Old December16th, 2021
Active User

I haven’t but given the choice I think I will roll the dice and skip the turbo.
Old December16th, 2021
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
I haven’t but given the choice I think I will roll the dice and skip the turbo.
Eric, one thing you may want to consider. This week I took my NA helo up for a high auto. I was solo and had less than half a tank of fuel. Temps were low 50F. I was only able to climb to about 7,000 MSL until it wouldn't climb much anymore. It lingered at around 200fpm. I could probably get to 8,000 if I had the patience. The whole time I had the throttle wide open.

If you're going to be operating from higher altitudes and often with 2 up a turbo is a very good idea to have.

In the spring I was 2 up in my turbo ship at max gross we were putting along at 5,500 going over some mountain passed and it still was able to climb at 500fpm without going full throttle.

The turbo isn't altitude comp but it still helps tremendously.
Old December21st, 2021
Active User

Hi David. And thanks for the advice. To me the choice seems to be more complicated than the advantages and cons of having a turbo. The new engine incorporates some new and needed features. Plus it promises to produce ~180HP which would offset the need for a turbo for most of us. But then again, the engine is new and largely untested. So there's that!
Old December21st, 2021
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
Hi David. And thanks for the advice. To me the choice seems to be more complicated than the advantages and cons of having a turbo. The new engine incorporates some new and needed features. Plus it promises to produce ~180HP which would offset the need for a turbo for most of us. But then again, the engine is new and largely untested. So there's that!
From what I understand the new 180hp engine is also turbo. The turbo isn't that complicated. It's rather simple. The performance/safety margin is more than worth the hassle. I'm actually looking at converting my orange helo to turbo.
Old December21st, 2021
Lifetime

homer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to behold

Dave, you say beefier skids, than Talon? Or what?
Old December21st, 2021
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer bell View Post
Dave, you say beefier skids, than Talon? Or what?
One of the kits delivered at my home airport had beefier skids. i only had a few seconds to admire the straight legs and saw the skids. I think it was 2.5in tubing. I'll measure it next time I get a chance
Old December21st, 2021
Lifetime

homer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to behold

OK, that would be a lot bigger. Old ones were 1 7/8” then Talon 2” even 2 1/4” would really be a big step up. Think I would like that though.
Old December21st, 2021
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer bell View Post
OK, that would be a lot bigger. Old ones were 1 7/8” then Talon 2” even 2 1/4” would really be a big step up. Think I would like that though.
It was definitely bigger than my talon. I think talon is 2.25.
Old December21st, 2021
Lifetime

I have one right now, pretty sure it’s 2”, but I could be wrong. But you know me, I’m never wrong.LOL.
Old January31st, 2022
Inner Circle Donating Member

Keith Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I’m new to the group and excited for Group one to be delivered to me this spring. I’ve been doing some research for awhile and I’m ready to started with my build. I’m planning on heading to Florida for the “Gathering of Rotorway” in March. I won’t have my ship yet but I’m eager to learn all I can. Looking forward to seeing you all there.