Go Back   Rotorway Owners Group > Rotorway Owners Forums - All registered users > RotorX Owners Forum

RotorX Owners Forum Intended for discussions of owning, flying and building of RotorX helicopters. Moderators: Ron Curry

Old January24th, 2022
Lifetime

Justin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud of
Re: Rotorway ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Laforest View Post
Hi Justin, I am nowhere near a old helo guy with knowledge but I disagree with you that cost is as much as a certified helicopter with a Rotorway.

The Rotorway is the ONLY helicopter that permited me to own one. Why ? Because first the purchase price is much less. Second, the maintenance can be done by yourself.
MY TIME IS FREE.

I looked at the possibility to buy a what I felt was the cheapest certified helicopter to BUY on the market. The Enstrom. I found one at $75K canadian and went to look at it. I was pleased with it and started to check the feasability of the project.

I know a few owners who like them and we have a local certified mechanic that is licensed for Enstrom and had a good discution with him and we both thought I could be own one of these for a relatively reasonable fee.

I then started to calculate the real cost of owning one. When I looked at ALL the scheduled maintenance It was clear it DIDN'T COMPARE AT ALL with the Rotorway. If some of you think Rotorway parts are expensive check with certified ones.

I now know that to own a certified helicopter I would need to be a partner with two more guys. An some of us for some reason don't want that.
Claude, much respect, and I can see your point, but I dont know that the math is that cut and dry. I guess that is assuming all your time is free?

I know that if I paid myself $15/hour for every hour I spent learning, reading, building, testing, fixing, I probably could have paid for a nice R22 Beta. Something with time left on blades but perhaps one that has been 'feild' overhauled. Enstrom is good too.

Also look at the value of the asset. I am assuming the next cost of a Talon is 95k, plus the builder will have probably 10k in misc, radios paint, etc. In the end, they have 100+k in a ship that MIGHT bring 50-60k on the market used.

Certified are not like that. Your money is 'safer' and more predictable in that investment.

Dont get me wrong, the desire to build a ship you can fly is an alluring one. I fell HARD for the idea even though many around me that are high time pilots all tired to talk me out of it. I did not listen either. That is why I am simply sharing that for me, the rotorway is the perfect ship for a guy who the build is as important as the flying. I think building one because one thinks it is 'cheaper' will find the math does not always add up.

Good luck and fly safe!
Old January26th, 2022
Active User

Eric Anderson is an unknown quantity at this point

For me it comes down to maintenance. Even if I could afford an R22 mechanic, there is still the inconvenience of getting him on my schedule and getting him to Blairstown. If I really in my heart of hearts wanted a machine to take camping, I would build an RV or Super Cub derivative. To be honest I did start with that fantasy—hovering over to my very own spot on the beach. But after having flown the R22 for 45 hours I see how impractical it is even with the dependability which comes with a certified machine powered by a Lycoming. Helicopters are the very image of impractical. But they are fascinating and fun. I hope to learn a lot and maybe get 100 hours or so of occasional flying. If at that point I sell at a $40k loss then I hope I can still look back on the experience as a positive one.
Old January26th, 2022
Lifetime

homer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to behold

Eric, did you have a Helicycle?
Old January26th, 2022
Active User

Eric Anderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Homer. Nope. Not me. I looked into the Mosquito (which I really like). The helicycle seems OK but I am not interested in the Solar motor. I opted for RotorX after talking with you and other owners. The first stage should arrive in a few weeks.
Old January27th, 2022
Lifetime

homer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to beholdhomer bell is a splendid one to behold

OK, got you mixed up with another Eric that’s up your way. You should be happy with the RX/RW. Good choice.
Old January27th, 2022
Lifetime

Justin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
For me it comes down to maintenance. Even if I could afford an R22 mechanic, there is still the inconvenience of getting him on my schedule and getting him to Blairstown. If I really in my heart of hearts wanted a machine to take camping, I would build an RV or Super Cub derivative. To be honest I did start with that fantasy—hovering over to my very own spot on the beach. But after having flown the R22 for 45 hours I see how impractical it is even with the dependability which comes with a certified machine powered by a Lycoming. Helicopters are the very image of impractical. But they are fascinating and fun. I hope to learn a lot and maybe get 100 hours or so of occasional flying. If at that point I sell at a $40k loss then I hope I can still look back on the experience as a positive one.

Eric,

Sounds like you are on a great path!

Just to clarify, R22 100/hr annual inspection can be done by most places in a day. Sometimes day and a half. Places are around $1000 for it just for reference. Heck, I have flown 22's coast to cost and north to south. Nothing to hop in an fly several states over if you somehow lived in a very rual place.

To others who say how much more expensive certified ships are, I saw a 22 beta II w/ 250 hours before overhaual and 6 years left on blades for 70k.

250 hours is a LOT of time. You see some guys not fly their rotorways that much in 5 years. You can buy that ship for 70k and start flying. Pay 1000/ year for annuals. Worst case you have to ream a valve but never had an issue and ran 'avblend' in the oil. Good cooldowns help also.

My only point being, 'because it is more affordable' is not always an accurate reason for choosing rotorway. My guess is the difference of someone buying that 22 vs building, the 22 will be 10,s of thousands less after 5 years and then sell them both. NOT counting the time it took to build it.