Go Back   Rotorway Owners Group > Other Forums and ROG Information - All registered users > News

News Admin only access

Old June19th, 2006
Administrator

Ron Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to all
Using a fake name or thinking of changing your User ID to a "handle"? Read this!

The ROG registration agreement requires the use of first and last names as a login ID. There is no other purpose for this policy other than to simply remove the temptation to flame each other anonymously. It has served us well over the years. Lately, however, there has been increasing abuse of this policy by new registrants. The abuse comes in three forms:

1. New registrant ignores registration instructions
2. New registrant applies using their name and then later changes it to an anonymous "handle"
3. New registrant uses a fake name.

Registrants that do #1 are ALWAYS rejected. Even thought the words that say the registration will be rejected without first and last name are in BIG BOLD letters I always give these folks a second chance. If the person applies again with the proper information they are cheerfully accepted. However, moving forward doing this twice will likely result in appearing to be a hacker and being banned.

Number 2 and 3 are clearly not the result of a simple mistake. In the past I've simply deleted such accounts and allowed the person to re-apply. No more. I'm getting way too many of these. From here on out changing a logon ID to a handle or if it is found that the name used is fake that person will be put on the "banned" list and will loose access to ROG. Same goes for any information in your profile.

There will be a 1 week amnesty period starting next Saturday, June 25th where registrants will have an opportunity to correct "fake" names or other info. After that, reports to the ROG admin of users who have registered on ROG using false information will be checked out and if correct info cannot be verified that IP address, email address and account will most likely be added to the banned list.

I apologize that this action is even necessary but I just deleted 10+ registrations who initially registered with their names and later changed them to an anonymous handle. Things are getting a bit out of hand.

Lastly, if you are already using your real first and last name for your login ID I commended you for your honesty and integrity and ask that you please ignore this remedial action.