View Single Post
Old February1st, 2004
Administrator

Ron Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to all
Use Instant Messaging Properly

Use Instant Messaging (IM) properly with consideration for the person on the other side.

Many of the issues that apply to email apply to Instant Messaging and visa-versa. The key is courtesy and clarity in communications.

Start by always asking if the person you are IMing is available and if it is a good time to chat. I get email all the time from folks who get frustrated by others thinking they should be available 24/7 or whenever they are online. If they are busy, ask them when they will be free. You do the same - if you are busy and cannot chat, let the other person know and advise them when you can connect at a later time.

Practice communicating briefly and succinctly. Clarity is key with IM. IM is meant for brief communications - not your manifesto on the days events. If the topic is that long winded or complicated ask when would be a good time to give them a call on the old fashioned telephone to discuss the topic further. With IM there are limitations, as IM only allows 512 characters (79 words) per message.

Use IM for casual topics or informational briefs. Serious topics are not for IM. Can you believe I received a condolence IM when my father passed away? Not appropriate! Certain topics and situations require face-to-face meetings or at the very least a good old fashioned telephone call or card stating your feelings. IM is not the place for serious topics or confrontational issues.

As I mention in previous courtesies, IMing is not an excuse to forget your grade school education. Check your spelling and grammar. This is a communications tool - how can you communicate with clarity if you don't come off as one with a basic education?

If you are not a smooth at multi-tasker, don't continue multiple IM sessions and leave folks hanging while you communicate with others. Not only is it perceived as rude, you are wasting the other person's time and gives them the impression you do not feel their time is valuable.

Learn how to use the features of your IM program. Specifically your "busy" and "away" message features. This will allow those trying to communicate with you to know your status and avoid mis-communications about your availability. For those that don't take your "busy" and "away" messages seriously, use the "ignore" feature. The ignore button is a built-in feature that allows users to block communications from anyone you choose. You can allow only certain people to contact you, or block certain users from contacting you at all. Use this feature sparingly for those who do not respect your time or your requests for contact at a later time.

Never IM under an alias to take a peak at friends' or associates' activities - how rude!

Take into consideration whom you are communicating with to determine the acronyms and emoticons that should be used - if at all. Certainly you wouldn't use the same with a business associate vs. your Mom who may not even know what the acronyms and emoticons mean. Use your better judgment here!

Word of Caution: As with email, IMs can be saved and sent to others. Once you send it - it is gone. If you are upset, sign off until you cool off! Don't type what you wouldn't want to be passed around. I also get emails from IMers all the time who are upset because they sent a private note to a friend they thought they could trust who then broadcasted their IM across the net. Know whom you can trust!
(Note from Ron: We don't have IM here on ROG but this is part of the articles so I will include it.)

A Word to Business Folks: Be Professional even though IM is meant to be casual, keep in mind the quality of your messages reflect on your professionalism. A spelling and grammar check is imperative in any form of business communications regardless of mode used. I've also found that some people are unable to multiple task successfully. Keep this in mind if you are having multiple IM exchanges at a single time, better to limit yourself and communicate the right message - than to confuse messages or tone between IMers. As a courtesy, more so for business communications, if you are unable to respond because of a deadline or a meeting set yourself to "busy", so your colleagues will know that you are unable to respond and not just ignoring them.

As a courtesy to your fellow Netizens, communicate with clarity while using your tools appropriately for the topics at hand.