View Single Post
Old February1st, 2004
Administrator

Ron Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to allRon Curry is a name known to all
Be polite and appreciative!

(Note from Ron: This is one of the most irritating things for me. I can't tell you how many "Can't log in, please fix it" emails I get. No "Hello", no "Thank you", and sometimes even the "please" is left out. I also get many "I want to buy a Rotorway, tell me all about it". Sometimes there is a "Thanks" but often it comes across as demanding and with no salutation (like "Thanks, john Smith"). These are very irritating especially after the third or fourth one of the evening).

Always end your emails with Thank you, Sincerely, Take it easy, Best regards - something!

In particular, when you request information or ask something of the one you are emailing, have the common courtesy to thank them in advance (TIA!) and sign off your email appropriately. Worse yet, to click the send button without even typing your name is impersonal and is not conducive to being perceived as a person one would want to continue to build a relationship or do business with. If you don't want to type your name every time, then incorporate it into your signature file that is automatically appended to the end of every email.

Never just forward email without a comment as to why you are forwarding the email to the recipient. That is way assuming, lazy and rude. Do you want the party to comment or review? Is there a specific issue you want them to address? Did you have a particular reason why you forwarded them the email? Always let the recipient know why you are forwarding an email to them. Including what, if anything, you need them to respond to or what action is required by them.

If you are emailing for support or asking a question, or requesting assistance from someone, it would behoove you to say "Thank You". It is very easy to come off as bossy in email - people do not take warmly to those who are bossy.
By sending email that blurts out a question or demands a response without even closing with "appreciate your help" or "thanx in advance" or even "let me know what you think" you can bet the person on the other side will not respond as quickly, work as hard, take you as seriously, or possibly not even care to respond at all. Know this to be a fact. Then, when they do respond and take the time to help you, take a moment and send a reply email thanking them for their assistance. This only takes a minute and will be greatly appreciated by the person on the other side who you can bet is getting more emails that are rude and demanding than courteous!

As a general rule of thumb, if someone takes the time to email you and it is not junk mail or offensive, give them the courtesy of a return response. By not doing so you appear to ignore them. How would you feel if email you sent was simply ignored? A short and sweet acknowledgement of their email commenting on the issues within only takes a moment.

As a courtesy to your fellow Netizens, be polite and type to those as you would have them type unto you.