View Single Post
Old January4th, 2022
Lifetime

Justin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud ofJustin Travis has much to be proud of
Re: Rotorway ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
This will come across stupidly no matter how I phrase it. But I appreciate what ALL of you have to say in this discussion. A dozen times I have considered cancelling my RotorX kit order. The prospect of undertaking such a project is not a comfortable one. Discussions like this one definitely DO NOT make the prospect more comforting. But the fact that experienced builders continue to BUILD, TEACH, INSPECT, MAINTAIN, and FLY these machines IS a comfort and a dose of reality. So thank you all. Keep sparring. It helps.

Just want to not get confused. The rotorway is the best kit helicopter period. The most critical parts, the rotorsystem and blades are about bullet proof. (except for it's limited articulation which is about 1/2 of what certified ships have). Which is why you have ballast and have to be MUCH more careful how you operate in cross / tailwind situations, slope landings etc.

When Orv was down in my neck of the woods we were all out flying together. I was surprised, but he truly followed roads and fields ALL THE TIME. He also was flying about 200' higher than I usually flew.

Talking with him, I came away with a ton of respect for a guy who has 'been there, done that'.

So the answer from many guys with good experience is the rotorway can and indeed be a safe helo, it is not to be treated like a certified ship. Not a bash or RW at all. A helo is an incredibly demanding mechanical device. The fact that you can even build a capable one is amazing.

I built an experimental and after doing it, I realized I did it for the wrong reasons.

I THOUGHT it would be more affordable. I however did not account for the MASSIVE amount of time one dedicates to the project. If you are like me, you will want to learn and explore many paths during construction. After all, you are putting your life on the line.

I also underestimated the personal cost and sacrifice of time. I spent many many hours out in the garage working on it while I had young kids at home. I was too deep into it to stop working on it, but it caused a wedge with me and my wife. I really just wanted to be flying, but I had to build it.

Lastly, I dreamed I would be flying it just like I pictured flying a certified ship. Despite some VERY high time pilots advising me against it, I still held the dream it could be done.

In the end, my advice is the Rotorway is for a guy who wants to build it as much as they want to fly. You will spend many many more hours building the ship than it will ever fly. Thousands of hours if you are a detail oriented guy. If that is not part of what you are dreaming of, perhaps you might re-consider. I remember seeing the RW add with the guy fishing in a river where he just set his helo down. Go into fully knowing what it is and is not.

None of what I am posting is negative. The rotorway can be a good and enjoyable ship for people. Personally, I found out that what I wanted out of a helicopter, I could not really do in a RW, or do it with the margin of safety that should be taken.

Good luck whatever direction you go! Just dont forget, the build should be as important a factor in your decision as the flying. You will spend a lot more time building it!